Coriander is a herb which is an important component of many types of spices. Its seeds are light brown in color, whereas the coriander leaves are green. It tastes bland, but it imparts a desirable aroma if it is added to the food. It is cultivated in the plains of the province of Punjab in Pakistan, as well as in Bangladesh. The coriander herb has been in use since centuries. It is categorized as a vegetable. Coriander is basically the seed of an aromatic plant. However, the leaves of the coriander plant are also used along with the coriander seeds as a spice for food. It has countless benefits for the health which are mentioned below.
- It strengthens the brain as well as the heart.
- It can cure fever.
- It provides strength to the digestive system and helps cure diarrhoea.
- Coriander can also alleviate throat pain.
- It can cure indigestion.
- Chemical analysis has revealed that the leaves of coriander contains certain vitamins, including vitamin C. it also contains protein.
- It curbs thirst.
- It refreshes the brain and provides overall strength to it.
- Drinking the juice of fresh coriander or chewing its seeds can alleviate nausea.
- Dry coriander can be used to stop hiccoughs.
- It can alleviate the burning sensations which are sometimes felt in the hands and feet. It also alleviates the excess internal heat of the body.
- It is also effective for the urinary tract. It can help you get rid of the problem of frequent urination. Coriander is also useful in the condition where one feels a burning sensation during urination.
- Since it has a cooling and refreshing effect, it helps you enjoy a very peaceful and sound sleep. Therefore, it can prove to be effective for people who suffer from insomnia.
- It can cure ulcers of the mouth and the tongue.
- Dry coriander can cure a sore throat.
- It is also beneficial for the eyes. It can relieve the pain of eyes and helps you get rid of the redness of the eyes.
The nutritional value of coriander is limited. However, it is an effective and potent herb. In essence, it has a cooling effect. The leaves of coriander are used while cooking to impart aroma to the food. On the other hand, its seeds are used to add flavour to food. The coriander leaves are also used in salads and to make spicy sauces. Moreover, it also serves several medicinal purposes and is, therefore, a component of certain medicines. You can prepare your own home-made medicine to cure numerous digestive problems. Take coriander, black pepper and salt. Grind these ingredients separately and then combine them. This powder is effective for curing flatulence, indigestion and digestive problems.