Diarrhoea is opposite of constipation and it involves frequent passing of loose and watery stools. There are many causes of diarrhea, which may be infectious or noninfectious. If diarrhoea is found in kids then it is probably infectious because kids have weak immune power against the diarrhoea. The main reason behind the diarrhoea in kids is the lack of water, calcium and minerals. Diarrhoea found in the kids above one year old is called infantile diarrhoea. There are many causes of infantile diarrhoea in kids. Some of them are as follow:
- The main reason behind infantile diarrhoea in kids is when the mother stops breastfeeding. Breast milk contains the right balance of nutrients and most importantly in digestible form. Antibodies are passed to kid through breast milk which helps the kid’s body to fight against bacteria and other viruses.
- Cleanliness is very important for the kid’s health as cleanliness minimizes the chances of kids being exposed to bacteria and other viruses. Children, mothers of whom do not maintain cleanliness is likely to be a victim of infant diarrhea.
- Dry milk is another major source of infantile diarrhoea as it can affect the digestive system hence causing diarrhea.
- Drinking too much fruit juice can also result infantile diarrhoea.
Due to above mentioned cases, there are many other diseases kids catch beside infantile diarrhea. A child gets extremely weak due to the lack of minerals and water in the body. It is very important to protect kids from infantile diarrhea. Mothers should take the following precautions to save their kids from this disease.
- Don’t use dummy rubber nipples to make baby quiet as it exposes baby to germs that are on the rubber nipple.
- The mother should feed the baby with her own milk only because as there is no substitute of mother’s milk for better growth of the baby and it also saves baby from certain digestive diseases.
- Don’t feed any other food to the baby other than breast milk until he is 3 months old.
- Keep baby away from the messy and dirty environment and give special attention to maintain the cleanliness around the baby.
- Do not feed baby animal’s nutrients as it does not contain all the nutrients needed for proper and healthy growth of the baby.
Diarrhoea can be controlled by three methods; Rehydration, ORS and Feeding. As the name suggests, ‘Rehydration’ means to feed baby a fluid to level the water and minerals needed by the body. For this purpose breast milk is given to the baby more frequently as well as other liquid stuff. ORS contains salt and mineral one pack of ORS should be mixed in one litter water and should be given to baby time by time. Other soft foods mixed in milk should also be given to the baby along with breast milk like boiled rice and bananas, corn flakes etc.