Loquat is a fruit that is popular all over the world. Like all other fruits, loquat provides its own unique set of benefits for the health. The British introduced this fruit in India and since then it has been one of the major fruits grown across the region as a favorite summer product.
Facts about Loquat
- The loquat tree can grow as tall as a guava tree. On average, it grows up to 10 to 15 feet.
- Flowers and fruits grow in the form of bunches on a loquat tree.
- The fruit of the loquat tree is dark yellow in color.
- It tastes sweet as well as tangy.
- It is a fruit, which is mostly used during the summer season.
- Loquat has a cooling effect.
- It is grown abundantly in the subcontinent.
- The loquat tree is evergreen.
History of Loquat
The British brought the loquat tree to India from Europe. It was introduced to several parts of India. Today, loquat is mostly found in abundance in Bengal. It is also grown in many other parts of this country as well. Moreover, it also grows in a number of regions of Pakistan.
In Asia, the loquat fruits, as well as the leaves of the loquat tree, have been used for medicinal purposes for more than a thousand years. In particular, the Chinese people used to make a type of herbal tea from the leaves of the loquat tree. This tea is very effective as a cure for several digestive system problems. Although, it has not been proven through scientific research, loquat tea can help fight cancer as well.
Read Also Side Effects of Cola Drinks in Urdu Language
Health Benefits of Loquat
Just like many other fruits, loquat carries immense significance with respect to its nutritional content. It proves to be beneficial for the health in a number of ways. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Loquat makes you feel cool and refreshed during the summers.
- It is very effective for quenching the thirst.
- It is useful for treating blood related ailments.
- It boosts your overall health.
- The loquat fruits are a rich source of antioxidants.
- Loquat provides a high amount of vitamin A.
- It contains an important mineral called potassium. This mineral plays an important role in regulating the blood pressure.
- It is a source of many other minerals, such as iron, manganese, calcium etc.
Loquat is a special fruit of the summer season. Therefore, it is beneficial for getting rid of many health problems which occur due to the hot summers. It is very refreshing when you feel too hot during this season.
Often, a general lethargy and weakness occurs in summers when you lose water and minerals in the form of sweat. Loquat helps gets rid of this weakness and lethargy. It refreshes your entire body.